Facts about Floods
Flash floods are the most dangerous kind of floods, because they combine the destructive power of a flood with incredible speed and unpredictability. Flash floods occur when too much water fills in creeks or rivers.
Here are a few important facts to know about flash floods:
- No region is safe from flooding.
- Flash floods can bring walls of water from 10-20 feet high.
- To stay safe, go to the highest ground of floor possible.
- Flooding can be caused by spring thawing, heavy rains, snow melt runoffs, and mudflows.
- Floods are the most widespread natural disaster aside from wildfires.
- To prepare for a flood, it is important to stock up on first aid items, non-perishable foods, 3 gallons of water per person for 3 days, battery operated radio for weather reports, extra batteries and personal hygiene necessities.
- Flood damage is almost never covered by homeowners insurance, so flood insurance is crucial for people living in high-risk flood zones.
We are in prime season for flooding to occur. Use these facts to stay prepared for any floods.
Spring Cleaning Checklist Part 1
Here are 15 household areas that are often forgotten about when cleaning.
- Vents: Make sure to turn off the air conditioning or heat before cleaning them.
- Window Screens: use dish soap and allow them to dry before securing them back into the frames.
- Toaster: Unplug first! Hold it upside down over the trash if there is no crumb tray.
- Refrigerator Drip Pan: It can catch more than just evaporation, a cleaning solution of water and white vinegar will do the trick.
- Condiments: Check to make sure they aren't expired!
- Spice Rack: Toss anything past its expiration date.
- Garbage Disposal: Run cool water while grinding ice and coarse salt, add citrus slices for a good smell.
- Coffee Maker: Fill the water reservoir with white vinegar, run coffee maker 2 times with water before the next brew.
Spring Cleaning Checklist Part 2
Here are some more of the household areas that are often forgotten when it's cleaning time.
- Laptop or Desktop Computer: Use a screen cleaner to wipe down the screen, keyboard, mouse.
- Houseplants: Give them a gentle cleaning to eliminate dust and spider webs.
- Laundry Hamper: If it has a cloth liner, throw it in the wash. If it is metal or plastic wipe it down with water and white vinegar.
- First Aid Kit: Ensure it is properly stocked, throw away and expired or damaged items.
- Shower Curtains and Liners: Most cloth and plastic liners/curtains will do okay in the washing machine. Allow to air dry
- Remote Control: Use a small amount of disinfectant spray to wipe down the remote control.
- Throw Blankets and Pillows: These deserve a regular cleaning, pillows can be tossed in the dryer to freshen them up.
Be Aware of Spring Severe Thunderstorms
an example of the different sizes of hail that you might experience in a storm.
First day of spring in among us, which means a lot of weather changes in the next few weeks. SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore is here to help in any way we can.
Do you ever blow off the thunderstorm warning sirens, like you can handle the rain?
Well, there is more to the warning that you might not realize. Thunderstorms can be also be dangerous. Here is what to be on the look out for.
- Destructive winds
- High winds can be extremely destructive to your home and surrounding area. It can even leave you powerless.
- Destructive hail
- 95 percent of hailstones are golf ball size or smaller, however damage can become more serious mixed with severe winds. A hail storm can be a large threat to your home or business.
- Frequent lightning
- Severe thunderstorms can create more cloud-to-ground lightning which could cause damage to anything it may strike. Avoid contact with electrical devices, or metal items outside.
- Tornadoes may still form
- It will be harder to see due to the clouds and darkness from the storm but funnel clouds can still form during a thunderstorm.
It is important to know the dangers of a Thunderstorm with our spring and summer months approaching. If you experience any loss and need restoration on your home, call SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore.
Nicotine Odor Removal
Buying or selling a home with heavy nicotine odors can be difficult. We have specialty cleaning products to help get rid of these odors. It is important to clean the walls, ceilings, floors, ducts and air when trying to remove these harsh odors.
When removing Nicotine odors from the home it is important to ask these starter questions:
- How long has the cigarette smoke impacted the area? 3-6 months or years of smoking?
- How strong are the nicotine odors? Air quality, contents, walls, ceilings, furniture, etc.?
- When was the last time the HVAC system was cleaned?
SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore is always here to help. We offer many different services and are always willing to go the extra mile.
If you have nicotine odors in your home or business and would like us to help, call us at (586)-598-5050.
Stay prepared and know the answers to these questions
Some of the equipment SERVPRO uses for water mitigation and restoration.
Before calling SERVPRO to the scene you can stay prepared by knowing the answers to these questions. These are the usual questions the dispatcher might ask when calling SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore about a water loss.
- Home/Cell Phone? Business Phone?
- Date and time loss occurred?
- What is the source of water?
- What is the type of water?
- Is it clean, gray or sewer?
- Is there structural damage?
- Is electricity available?
- Is there standing water?
- What areas are affected?
- Has the source been repaired or replaced?
Knowing the answers to these questions can help our crew be prepared as soon as they arrive on the job. If they already know what is going on before they arrive they can help make it "Like it never even happened."
Importance of Mold testing
When a home suffers a water damage event, a mold infestation can quickly arise and spread throughout a home in 48-72 hours. Because mold can produce allergens and irritants, you will want a professional that has training and experience to properly resolve the mold infestation.
In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling may be unnecessary. However at SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore we find it important to do the mold testing before and after the remediation process. We work with Tricor Inspection to complete the mold testing or sampling process.
We do surface sampling to make sure the affected area has been cleaned and remediated properly. We also have the mold tested to see what kind of mold was growing. We do this because there are more dangerous strains of mold than others.
If you would like a free mold home inspection today, call us at (586)-598-5050.
IICRC- The Basics
The IICRC: The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification is a certification and standard-setting nonprofit organization for the inspection and restoration industries.
Water damage restoration training is one of the most important skill sets that a team of professional cleaners need in order to offer comprehensive services. The services include going into a home or business after a wet disaster, which includes, flood, burst pipes, or snow destruction. The service is more than just cleaning up the mess but actually drying and repairing the substructures that the moisture affected. If the moisture sits for too long it can cause more damages to the home or business.
By having professional water damage restoration training, our cleaning crews can properly assess the situation and create the best plan to repair the damages.
SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore makes sure that our technicians are certified and prepared to handle any job to make it "Like it never even happened."
Taking proactive steps to help protect your family and property from severe storms before they hit can save lives and minimize the damage to your home or business.
Your first step is to create an ERP: Emergency Ready Plan
This helps make sure that everyone knows where to go and what to do in case of an emergency. Everyone should know the plan in case of separation.
It is also crucial to have an emergency kit, this should include:
- Battery powered flashlight
- Portable battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Prescriptions and essential medications
- First aid kit
- Nonperishable emergency food
- Bottled water
- Non-electric can opener
- Disposable camera
- Credit cards and cash
- Change of clothing
- Sturdy shoes or boots
- Important papers, i.d, and bank information
When a severe storm is approaching it is important to follow local news for updates on severity and evacuation orders.
In order to stay safe it is important to understand your risks and have a plan in place before the storm hits.
If you need help developing your ERP, we can help. (586)-598-5050.
Pet Stains and Odor Removal
Cleaning a carpet with significant amounts of pet stains can be a tough challenge in carpet cleaning. Pet urine causes both appearance and odor problems. The alkaline urine salts contains ammonia, which can cause a loss of color in textile fibers. Urine salts are also hygroscopic, meaning they attract moisture and humidity, which helps release odors to the atmosphere.
It is important to inspect the problem and figure out if that is the only spot that needs to be treated. Locating the problem is the first step in controlling the problem.
The treatment for pet stains and odors is easily done in three steps.
- Neutralize the urine residues
- Sanitize the affected area
- Deodorize the malodors
If the pet odor in carpets is really bad, you may need to pull and discard the carpet along with the pad. The subfloor will need to be thoroughly cleaned, dried and sealed with an odor and stain blocker.
If you need help cleaning your pet stains call SERVPRO of Mount Clemens/New Baltimore. We are here to help.