Things to Remember when Winterizing your Cabin/Cottage
There are many things to remember to clean or put away when it comes to winterizing your cabin or cottage but we want to focus on the importance of taking care of the water system before leaving.
Follow this checklist when closing up so you don't come back next season to a bad water damaged mess.
Make sure the water is draining properly, residual water can make the pipes freeze in the winter causing them to break.
Drain the water heater:
- Turn off the electricity to the water heater
- Close the cold water intake valve
- Attach a hose to a water heater drain valve
- Run the hose outside or into a bucket
- Open a hot water tab
- Open the drain valve and let out all the water remaining
- Remove the drain hose and place a cup under the valve to catch the remaining drips
- Close the drain valve once the hot water stops
- Close the hot water tap